Building a Willow Whale!
College Town Junior School joins forces with Kennel Lane School to create our Willow Whale!
The Eco-Rangers have just spent a wonderful couple of days building a willow structure on the school grounds. The structure (shaped like a Whale!), will provide the pupils of College Town Junior School with a living play area, allowing them to connect with nature and appreciate the outdoors. It has been situated at the bottom of the playing field, and will form part of our nature trail.
The project was completed in conjunction with pupils and staff from Kennel Lane School, who having already built a willow structure at their school, offered to come and share their knowledge and expertise.
The Eco-Rangers are keen to build on this new found friendship with Kennel Lane School, and plan to make a reciprocating visit in the near future, to share our knowledge and expertise on composting/recycling with them.
Willow the Whaleden took 2 days to build, and as well as being huge amounts of fun to do, covered lots of the school curriculum too!
- Numeracy (measuring, counting, shape, pattern, size)
- Science (Plants – growing, propagation, conditions for plants to thrive, biodiversity)
- Art (Pattern, weaving, 2D and 3D sculpture, design, traditional craft)
- Design and Technology (Planning, materials and their properties, structure building, using tools)
- PSE (curriculum enrichment, team work, environmental education, health and safety, outdoor learning, fine and gross motor skills)