Transition to Secondary School
The move to secondary school means a number of major changes for all children.
At College Town Junior School, we work in close partnership with local secondary schools, ensuring that all children are as well-equipped as they possibly can be in order to enjoy all that secondary school offers. We prepare the children in our care to reach their potential and encourage a positive mind-set, so they move on to the next stage of their education with enthusiasm, confidence and a life-long love of learning.
We have a number of strategies and procedures in place to help pupils prepare, including:
- Liaising with secondary school staff to identify pupils who may be more vulnerable, or worried about change.
- Information sharing (on a confidential basis) to ensure friendship groups may be maintained or established.
- Secondary school staff (and sometimes pupils) will visit College Town to talk to children, either in groups or individually, about what to expect.
- Pupils will spend time (either one or two days) at their secondary school during the summer term of Year 6 in order to familiarise themselves with the new school routine.
- PSHE lessons will reflect and address any moving on concerns that pupils may have.
Parents may find the following website useful in helping to prepare their child with moving on to secondary school:
Local Secondary schools